Tips for Hiring a Painter
For homeowners in Scottsdale, there is no shortage of companies to paint your home. While there are some exceptional local painters who do world-class interior and exterior painting, there are also some companies you should avoid.
Tips on hiring a Painter:
1. Make sure they are a licensed contractor with the Registrar of Contractors. If they are unlicensed, you are left with very little recourse if things go wrong. You can check on companies here:
2. Check on insurance coverage. Any legitimate painter can provide a copy of the certificate of coverage.
3. Verify insurance coverage. This means calling the phone number on the insurance certificate and making sure the policy is still in force. If something happens at your home and the painter isn't insured, you and your homeowners policy may be holding the bag.
4. Ask about the type of paint and the number of coats of paint. You should receive a minimum of two coats (and sometimes a primer or sealer too). Look to painters that use high-quality paints like Sherwin-Williams or Dunn-Edwards.
5. If your home was built before 1978, there is a chance that lead paint was used in the past. A competent painter will test for this and ensure no risk for your family or neighbors. In order to do the renovation, the company needs to be certified by the EPA.
6. Look for positive reviews or ask for referrals.
7. Enjoy the new look of your home!